A S
Adrienne Scott

2 years ago
Hello from the Midlands, UK, bit overcast but that isn't stopping my garter carriage ðŸ˜‰

Can anyone please tell me how to create a lace pattern in DAK from a magazine which shows the pattern as little squares ( the way you would punch a punchcard or draw a mylar sheet ) 

The answer may be very simple, in which case no problem! and thanks
M K
Mary Kint

2 years ago
It is possible with DAK To do any kind of patterning (tuck, slip, lace, etc) by using the “fairisleâ€?  type of patterning in stitch designer. That is, not using stitch symbols but create a black & white, fill in the blocks. But you have to be careful to make sure you’re knitting in the correct direction & to plan for knitting plain rows. It’s a different method of charting out the pattern than if you’re using the stitch symbols in which DAK does all the figuring for you.  You have to also make sure you use the correct carriage, buttons or switches.  I’ve taken classes & the charting out using fairisle  (block) symbols hasn’t been easy for me to chart lace. Tuck & slip are easy to do with this method. 
M K
Mary Kint

2 years ago
One of the instructors I had was Sarah A. Etchison.   This was a number of years ago @Newtons in Calif. I don’t know if she has any online classes, but you could search the web. I don’t have an address for her.
M K
Mary Kint

2 years ago
To be more specific, simple lace would be very easy to chart out in this method.  But fashion lace is complicated.  If the stitch has to be moved more than one needle from the eyelet (let’s say 4 needles over), you have to put the black boxes on different rows of the chart for each time you move the stitch over to the desired needle. The carriage can only move the stitch over one needle at a time with each pass. So you have to diagram this. DesignaKnit will do all this for you in interactive mode using stitch symbols.  You don’t have to figure it out😅.  DesignaKnit will also do it if you get it right in your fill in the boxes & you are set for fashion lace on the carriage, but getting it right is the hard part😉. 
A S
Adrienne Scott

2 years ago
Thank you Mary, this is very helpful and very clearly explained

I had come to the same conclusion, I had a sudden realisation that the machine, ultimately is only reading black and white squares - as on a mylar sheet or a punchcard and the designs for lace that I wanted to use were in some old magazines and were printed out in black and white squares so that you could draw  them on a mylar sheet

I messaged Sue as well and the conclusion we have all come to I think is that I could put the pattern(s) into DAK as squares as if for fairisle but then very carefully knit using the lace carriage and remembering how many passes of the lace carriage and how many knit carriage rows.  Do you agree?

Perhaps the other way is to look carefully at the photo of the garment and try to figure out how it is constructed ie yo's k2tog etc 
Quicker to design my own maybe ðŸ˜ƒ
M K
Mary Kint

2 years ago
Yes, that’s how it works.😉
Tuck, slip, etc are so easy. If you use the fill in the squares, you, technically could use the same pattern for fairisle, tuck, slip, weave, & punchcard lace. Of course there are some limiting factors like rules for tuck.  If you use just the symbols, this multiuse  isn’t possible. And some of the above (tuck,etc) could be used for simple lace too with of course some limitations. 
M K
Mary Kint

2 years ago
Yes, that’s how it works.😉
Tuck, slip, etc are so easy. If you use the fill in the squares, you, technically could use the same pattern for fairisle, tuck, slip, weave, & punchcard lace. You just have to use the correct buttons or whatever on the carriage. Of course there are some limiting factors like rules for tuck. If you use just the stitch symbols, this multiuse isn’t possible.
Mary

PLEASE REMOVE ALL E-MAIL ADDRESSES BEFORE SENDING OR FORWARDING THIS EMAIL.
KnitItNow
16772 W. Bell Rd
Ste 110-113
Surprise, AZ 85374-9702
US Mountain Time Zone
-7 GMT
© Copyright 2024 Knit It Now, LLC